This version is released a little earlier than originally planned, due to the release of the fantastic Raspberry Pi 3 – which our previous 3.5 will not boot on due to having out of date firmware. Along with Raspberry Pi 3 compatibility this release brings a bunch of interesting experimental emulators such as Daphne for emulation of classic LaserDisc arcade games, a myriad of libretro cores, and a few game engines. We’ve also worked around the pesky insert coin bug that has plagued the arcade emulators.
Installation Instructions can be found here – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation.
Prebuilt images are available GitHub – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/releases/tag/3.6. You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian set up – Instructions can be found at the GitHub project site.
To get the Raspberry Pi 3 built-in Bluetooth working please update the RetroPie-Setup Script before using the Bluetooth configuration menu, or alternatively drop to a terminal and do
sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth
Changes since 3.5:
- Support for the Raspberry Pi 3
- Added new experimental modules:
- Daphne (Laserdisc Emulator)
- Libretro-Beetle PSX (x86 only)
- Libretro-Beetle Lynx
- GemRB engine (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape)
- ResidualVM (Engine for Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island)
- Libretro-MESS (based on the most recent version of MAME)
- Libretro-MAME (based on the most recent version of MAME)
- Added EmulationStation theme Simpler Turtle Pi to the theme installer from Omnija.
- Added version details and uninstall option to the RetroPie Setup Script.
- Fixed insert coin not working on arcade based emulators.
- Various other bugfixes and improvements.